Thursday, September 20, 2007

Rainer Maria Rilke.

So I added Rainer Maria Rilke to the I'm Loving section this week. And I thought, in honor of one of THE most beautiful books I've ever read, I would explain just why it is I'm loving Rilke and his Letters to a Young Poet.
So here, blog friends, is my list of 4 reasons why you should immerse yourself in Rilke's literary stylings:
1- His effortless, accessible language. I have found in my reading of "classic" or "old" literature, especially in poetry, that many of the authors are hard to relate to. Words draw me in when I find them in myself. Let me tell you, Rilke speaks my language. Granted I don't say things like: "Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depths of your heart; confess to yourself whether you would have to die if you were forbidden to write."(Letter 1) But I would think, "hmmm, what within myself is urging me deeply to do the things I love?"

2- The fact that these are personal pieces of correspondence. Letters are insightful, personal, and one of my favorite means of communication. Plus Rilke writes a wicked great one.

3- His relevent subject matter. Mr. Kappus, the recipient of Rilke's letters, was young when receiving his mail. Young like myself. Troubled with the same issues those of us "coming of age" struggle with daily. Rilke speaks of ambitions, love, faith, solitude, learning, etc, all of which speak to me. "...I am touched by your beautiful anxiety about life..." (Letter 4)

4- "You are so young, so much before all beginning, and I would like to beg you, dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now." (Letter 4)
(This is simply reason enough!)

I'd definitely recommend the letters and everything Rilke. I believe you won't be disappointed. In fact, I think you'll be profoundly affected.

To quote another source..."The History Boys"...
Hector says, "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours."
Rilke set down my words long before I existed.

1 comment:

mcunningham said...

Thanks for these heartfelt words about Rilke. You and your readers might be interested in LOST SON, the new novel based on Rilke's life and work. The novel includes a depiction of the circumstances in which Rilke first started writing to Franz X. Kappus -- not to mention Rilke's friendship with Rodin, and also with Lou Andreas-Salome.

Find out more, and read regular blog posts about Rilke, at:
www.mallencunningham.com

Cheers.