Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A room full-a-Rothko.

Written October 15th. At the Tate Modern in London.
Dimly lit grey room. Big enough to only hold the 9 giant paintings. I can barely see the paper I write on. Wooded floors with track lighting and two curved benches. I teared up upon entering. The soft, almost sad mood of the room and the sheer joy of this many Rothkos at once swallowed me. Gray. Grey. Mauve. Deep Purple. Maroon. Black. Scarlet. Rust. Red. Black. Crimson. Violet. Two tall rectangles as you walk in to the left. Mauve squares with purpled lines. Edges are feathered. Solarized. Depth of color. Fields. Strength of hue. Enveloped. Lost in the Rothko.

Here's one of the Rothko works that covered the room.
Here are the others. (Only the dark ones)

I scribbled down my thoughts as fast as I could in that room. It was amazing. Simply awesome. More of my London notes soon...


No comments: