Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Edward Hopper. and my minor obsession.

It's such a beautiful day today. WOW. Too bad my office is windowless...actually at times I am thankful for it; if i saw what it was like outside I might not get any work done!

Ever since Aviya, my non-fiction writing teacher in college who to this day is one of the biggest influences I've had in my life even if it was only two short semesters, had us read Mark Strand's book on Edward Hopper's paintings, I've been hooked.

That short, light, clean book changed the way I looked at art, the way I experienced it and, most importantly for that particular class, the way I wrote honestly and passionately about art (and everything else for that matter).

I wasn't even sure I liked Hopper prior to that book. I mean he's alright, but after reading Strand's account you cannot help but be consumed by the vacant characters on the canvas and the saturated but weary colors. In short, I devoured it. Consuming each painting, each page with the enthusiam I've only when reading dramatic novels. You should read it!

I drove all the way to Chicago to see "Nighthawks" at the Art Institute...should have checked first because it was definitely out on loan...but that's serious dedication to the book.

NOW...I'll be in Boston while Hopper is... Not him physically, obviously, but this is going to be there. (Sigh) Finally we shall meet Mr. Hopper. I just wish Mark Strand was there to narrate my visit. When you check out this site, look at the sketchbook feature. It's awesome!

See...just a minor obsession.

(Thanks to the Smithsonian American
Art Museum and their Hopper scrapbook.)

No comments: